Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Research about William Faulkner

Hello world, my name is Connor, and this is my blog about The Sound and the Fury.  Well.  This morning in math lab I started to read William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury and I almost had a panic attack.  Not only does it take a long time to read each page, but it also doesn't make any sense—at least, not for a while.  After a laborious 20 minutes and 16 pages of the book (about a third of the way though Chapter 1), I finally started to realize that I wasn't actually supposed to understand what on earth was happening in the book—instead, I just decided to remember the main facts so I can put them together when the book actually starts to make sense.  And, when I realized that, I decided that the book was actually kind of enjoyable.

I just realized I have not addressed Faulkner's life whatsoever.

William Faulkner was a Southern author (but we already knew that).  He was not a World War I aviator, but he pretended he was.  But yes, Faulkner did badly burn himself on a radiator when he passed out from drinking too much alcohol.  He never actually graduated from high school, and he cheated on his wife.   Considering he was a well-liked guy by his peers, the times sure must have been different.  By hey—the only think that matters is that Faulkner could write well.

1 comment:

  1. yeah! exactly-that is the method-actually he was very much a well mannered southern gentleman, but times were different-

    ReplyDelete